Thursday, June 26, 2008

CD54/ 15dpo

Well, that last IUI didn't work. Had the blood test this morning, got the call this afternoon. It's okay, I knew what the call was going to say -- I've been assiduously peeing on sticks since 10dpo, and each one has been blanker than the last.

It was a long shot, anyway.

It means I get to stop the progesterone, which is good, because progesterone makes me strong with the crazy. I cried hysterically at Move On's latest ad. Guys now is not a good time to be emotionally manipulative mmkay. Particularly not by deploying ads featuring a besotted first time mother dandling her perfect cannon-fodder infant on her knee.

Hey, remember Inappropriate Lab Administrative Assistant? The one who told me I looked 6 months pregnant when I wasn't, and wanted to know what was wrong with me? I forgot to record our dialogue at the last visit:

ILAA: Baby doing good?
Me: Nope.
ILAA: Oh, you lost it?
Me: Yup.
ILAA: Sorry.
Me: Thanks.

The next time she saw me she started chattering about air conditioners, so I am glad to say that there will be no awkwardness between us.

So, back to the reproductive plans: we are embarking on IVF#2. To do list includes:
  • Fill prescriptions from mail-order pharmacy

  • Wait a suitable time for the baby aspirin to get out of my system and then have my anticardiolipin antibodies tested. Abnormalities in this area are a fairly common cause of miscarriage, and this testing is part of a recurrent miscarriage workup. Now, no doctor would send me for a recurrent miscarriage workup after one miscarriage, so I'm just ordering the tests on the internets and paying for them myself. It doesn't make sense to me to risk a $10k IVF in order to save $151 on a test. Plus, have I mentioned that I would really rather not go through that again? If I do have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome then it will actually be kind of good news -- it's easily treated with blood thinners. Big thanks to Hope for bringing this possibility to my attention.

  • Persuade doctor to give me some metformin once I start downregging (that's the lupron phase, for the uninitiated). I've sent him an article and a note, which I chewed my pencil over for a long time. I don't want to piss him off. He's my connection to get hooked up with my future children. But metformin shows promise in reducing both rates of OHSS and miscarriage. I'd swallow hedgehogs to prevent OHSS and miscarriage this time around. I hope he is okay with it and prescribes me the met. If he doesn't, I'm sorry to say that I will probably just get some from Mexico. I've satisfied myself that metformin's a safe drug in this context, and have I mentioned that I really, really don't want to have OHSS or miscarry again?

  • Start my period. Hear that, body? Please? I took a progesterone suppository this morning, but obviously won't this evening, and it remains to be seen how long it'll take my body to bleed. I'm a little tickled that I'm responding so neatly to the progesterone. A 15 day luteal period, huh? And not even any spotting. But I hope my body gets the memo right quick and starts bleeding. Once I do we'll really be starting the next cycle.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, darlin. I really hope swallowing hedgehogs will not be required! Good luck and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the IUI didn't work. That lad assistant sounds like a real piece of work - good lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to "hear" you back here. Where do they find the people who work at the labs/clinics? Shouldn't there be some sort of weeding out process?

    I am on Metformin and it was a bit rough on the intestines at first, but now it's fine.

    ReplyDelete