Tuesday, November 11, 2008

1 day past ER: all good news!

Okay, this is just crazy.

It's Tuesday. As of last Friday I had five mature-looking follicles and we were still consdering cancelling the cycle and doing an IUI. As of Saturday, when I triggered, that number had doubled.

And as of Mondays' retrieval...

23 eggs. 21 mature. 19 fertilized.

19. 19. Where the hell did those come from? No one saw that coming. My doctor sure didn't, having carefully prepared me -- he was estimating 8-10, then revised his numbers upward to 10-15. I said I'd be ecstatic with 15 and happy with 10.

Of course there's no guarantee of anything, but the bigger the starting number the higher the chance of having multiple strong, healthy embryos.

The witches' brew of metformin - high stims - even higher stims - no metformin seems to have produced a bumper crop without making me sick as a dog in the process. As of today I'm sore and moving slowly, but I'm nowhere near the hit-by-a-truck shape I was in first cycle. I am lumbering to the bathroom all on my own, and it doesn't hurt to cough or, you know, breathe. I took three days off from work (vacation days, so I wouldn't have to have The Conversation) and I think that by Thursday I'll be in fightin' form.

Worrying will recommence tomorrow. Today I am just delighted.

10 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm delighted too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, congrats! SO glad you're not feeling so bad this time. And hooray for good numbers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo whoo! Congrats! That sounds fabulous!

    mycowgirlalterego

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is the most amazing news...oh I am just thrilled for you :) What an amazing result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY! And Happy Birthday!

    (Libitina, but it wasn't verifying my credentials - bah)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is AWESOME!! I am stunned by what an IVF superstar you are! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete