Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 6 of stims: word problems.

Someday I will do something and not worry myself sick about it. Then the world will probably end. Feel free to finish your coffee, though, since it's not going to happen any time soon.

This IVF cycle is a whole 'nuther ballgame. The lower dose (150 Follistim, 75 Menopur) plus the metformin seem to have dialed my response way back. My E2 on Day 4 was only 134. I'll find out today's later on. We only saw 7 follicles on today's scan.

Reasons this is good:
Egg retrieval will likely be less painful/incapacitating
Very unlikely that I'll hyperstimulate and be painfully immobilized for two weeks

Reasons this is not good:
Fewer eggs is, well, fewer eggs. Last time: 25 eggs > 21 mature eggs > 16 fertilized > 15 embryos > 6 blastocysts.

This represents 84% mature, 76% fertilization, 94% make it to embryo, 40% make it to blast.

If identical numbers this time (leaving aside the absurdity of embryo fractions... believe me, you don't want your embryos fractured): 7 follicles > 5.88 mature > 4.48 fertilized > 4.2 embryo > 1.68 blast. If that actually means 6 mature > 5 fertlized > 4 embryo > 2 blast then I have one to transfer and one to freeze. But as you can see, there's very little wiggle room, a decent chance I won't have any to freeze, and even a possibility I won't have anything to transfer. If that happens I'll defrost one of my Tiny Frozen Americans, but it would be galling to have this cycle, the second of my three chances, be a bust.

ETA: E2 -- 445. Dunno. Seems low to me.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like chances are that you'll get at least one fresh to transfer, and NOT have to go through the agony of last time -- so I'm reading this as good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot say anything smart about any of these numbers, but I just wanted to let you know I was reading and cheering you on out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have they adjusted your doses upward at all? How long will your clinic stim you? Ours didn't like to stim longer than 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, nice to know you probably won't be in agony again. With only a little luck you'll get at least one fresh to transfer.

    *wishes you a little luck*

    ReplyDelete