Sunday, July 20, 2008

CD22, Day 21 of BCPs, Day 7 of Lupron


There hasn't been much to report. This stage of IVF is boring, just weeks of preparing by taking birth control pills and, for the last third, Lupron. All of this is meant to lull my ovaries into a false sense of security a sweet slumber, so they will be well rested when we blast high-decibel Metallica at them begin the stimulation medications.

Once again The Apothecary Shop covered themselves with glory, sending
  1. extra infinitesimally tiny Lupron needles -- 31 gauge! I can barely see the needles, much less feel them.
  2. a nice styrofoam cooler which will in the future find itself full of ice and beer
  3. instructions on how to give all of the shots. Not that we don't know how by now, but it's comforting, anyway.
Oh, and I forgot to tell them that I already had a Follistim pen and wallet, so they sent one along with the Follistim. The wallet's a nice hard-shelled case. It will not go to waste, however. It's a pretty good size for my Nintendo DS Lite.

Other than the reproductive stuff, things have been a bit crazy. Our beloved insane poodle mix got into some mouse poison, spent three days in the animal hospital, and nearly died. Research revealed that this all could have been avoided if the pest control company had, you know, followed the instructions on the poison and used tamper-resistant baits stations. I've sent a letter asking them to pay the nearly $2000 vet bill and swear to me that they've put safeguards in place to make sure this never happens again. If they refuse I'll have to sue them in small claims court and get state agencies involved. It's all stressful, but I don't see letting them get away with it, not when the next dog or kid could die if they don't start following the rules.

I thought that the BCPs and Lupron had been treating me pretty well, but then my sweetie pointed out that I've been on a bad bad headtrip for lo these ten days now. I take my last pill tonight, and we're all hoping that my mood returns to normal once the pills are out of my system.

Oh, and I forgot to report the conversation I had with Chatty Phlebotomist when I went in to have my blood drawn:

Chatty Phlebotomist: Wow, we see you here a lot.
Me: Yes, I'm a patient of Dr. Fertility's. Soon you'll be seeing me for blood draws every other day.
CP:Ohhh, Dr. Fertility. You know (leans forward confidentially) it'll happen when you least expect it.
Me: I don't think so.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad your dog's ok! Vet stuff is so scary.

    That's an amazing IVF supply table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO aren't those comments priceless?
    Right up there with "If you just stop trying it will happen" errr, I don't think so...

    Glad your pup is ok - seriously the incompetence of some people is astounding. Hope you get them to change their ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor sweet doggie! I'm so glad he or she made it! Grrr for reckless incompetence!

    And oh my. I'm so impressed that you haven't smacked that phlebotomist upside the head yet. I guess she's the one with the needle, though, so it wouldn't do to antagonize. Maybe when all this is over you could hunt her down and give her really good smack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're dealing with so much right now and keeping your head above water beautifully. I'm so impressed with how you're handling everything. If you have to sue them, include punative. That's scary stuff no one should have to deal with.

    What's with well-intentioned, idiot phlebotomists? Yours takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to ask about Sophie - best of luck with pursuing the company.

    Loved the comments - she means well but...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your reply and your fertility station/shrine-- it seems that the people drawing blood inevitably say something really stupid. I think maybe they should have a 'No Talking' policy. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you're crazy! Hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your reply to the phlebotomist is perfect. I'm so sick of hearing from idiots that say "it'll happen when we least expect it." Yeah, right.

    ReplyDelete