Monday, June 30, 2008

CD2

Today's bloodwork
E2: 34
FSH: 7.7

Last cycle, my E2 was 52 and my FSH was 6.5. FSH is the ticking time bomb of fertility, so seeing it go up is never thrilling, but it's still safely under 10. And I believe that E2 pushes down your FSH to some extent, so it's possible that I'm in the same boat I was last time when my FSH was lower but my E2 was higher.

Meds are ordered, and I'm starting birth control pills and metformin tonight.

On my last entry, the lovely & talented Emily asked why I'm going through stimulation and retrieval again when I am, in fact, the proud mother of five tiny frozen Americans.

I'm doing it because my insurance is generous but dumb. My insurance covers 3 IVF cycles but does not distinguish between fresh and frozen cycles. A fresh cycle costs about $10k and has about a 30-40% chance of working. A frozen cycle costs about $3k and has about a 15-20% chance of working. Therefore, it's in my interest to do three fresh cycles and then pay for frozen transfers out-of-pocket, if necessary.

It's kind of messed up, and not the decision I'd make if money weren't an issue at all. But I'm damn grateful to have coverage, however arbitrary.

Plus, at the ill-fated end of my last IVF, I could not imagine jumping back on that train any time soon. Well, my period took not the 4-6 weeks I'd been told to expect, but 8 weeks to find its way home. Apparently 8 weeks is exactly how long it takes me to forget physical unpleasantness. Right now I'm nothing but eager to begin.

6 comments:

  1. I do know that FSH can vary from cycle to cycle, so don't worry-- as you say, you are still in the safe zone for sure.

    I'm sorry you had to go through this and I am hopeful that this next cycle will be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to find you blogging again and trying again! I wish you all the best as you begin round 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explaination! Makes total sense. Silly insurance aside, though, the higher chances sound like a good idea. Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i miss you. good luck with the new approach. sometimes it's difficult to understand the lingo, i feel a little lost. but i think i've gathered you're trying something new? or is that you've had to wait a while to give it the next try?

    my thoughts are with you, sending lots of love and great wishes.

    love,
    cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to see you back on the cycling train. I had to wait two full cycles each time, and it sucks and it didn't suck. But I'm glad to be shooting sperm up there again!

    mycowgirlalterego

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching up on your blog -- Good luck!!

    I agree with your post a little bit back, it's hard work *plus* luck that makes the difference. So, I'm wishing ya'll some more good luck!

    ReplyDelete