Wednesday, April 16, 2008

still in the game

Monday's beta (12:30pm): 45
Wednesday's beta (8am): 74
Doubling time: 67 hours

not great, but not a disaster. i'm still in the game.

OHSS symptoms: completely miserable. Can't walk, eat, or breathe properly. My stomach looks like I'm six months pregnant. In fact, when I got my blood drawn today (for the second time today, third time this week) the technician thought I was six months pregnant.

Emergency doctor's appointment yielded: ovaries are the size of potatoes, are touching, are so big that they're pushed up into my intestines which are in turn pressing on my diaphragm. This is probably the source of my stomach cramps, nausea, and breathing problems.

in good news, the uterine cramps are still occasional but are low-key, and the spotting has slowed right down.


No new beta until Sunday. In a word, ARRGH. anyone know where I can get a black-market quantitative beta?

11 comments:

  1. you certainly are still in the game! i hope you feel better soon!
    SWG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err... what's a beta?

    *looks embarrassed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your OHSS...that sounds awful but GREAT to read of you betas...I read somewhere the "85% of normal pregnancies have a doubling time of 72 hours or less" (so 15% have a doubling time of over 72 hours I guess). You could look at that all kinds of ways but the best way is YOU ARE PREGNANT! stick, blasto, stick!!

    Rebecca (from MT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I'm catching up after being away so I missed your news from Sunday. Congratulations! I'm thinking lots of good beta thoughts for you. I can't believe you have to wait so long - good luck and YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. potato-sized ovaries! I hope you feel better really soon, and i hope Sunday comes quickly! congratulations and here's to good numbers on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was thinking about you at work today & got online as soon as i could to check in.

    owie! giant painful ovaries! i really hope that they shrink down soon. i know the wait is hard, hang in there. just so you know, one of the phlebotomists at the lab here told me that a patient may order her own beta, as many times as she wants. if you're willing to pay for them, i guess. couldn't hurt to ask...

    take care of yourselves,
    tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. For Dawn...a "beta" is short for the "beta subunit of the Human Chorionic Gonadotropin" which is the hormone you produce lots of when pregnant. We usually use it to refer to the "number" (measurement of how much") as opposed to the "yes-no" test (ie you're pregnant or your not). In early pregnancy the "beta" should double about every 36-72 hours.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so psyched for you!!! Hang in there until Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh poor thing. i have to catch up to see how you currently are.

    cindph

    ReplyDelete