Thursday, April 24, 2008

Important Items of Business

Item #1: a praise-song for my sweetheart

My completely self-involved blog has paid insufficient attention to how really really great my beloved is, and it's time for me to remedy that.

For the past week-and-change, my darling has nursed me and catered to my cranky immobile self literally night and day (and when I say "literally", I mean literally). I'm tottering around the house now, but at the worst of it all I could do was ease my way to the bathroom and back -- and yet I was supposed to eat every single hour during the day and drink constantly. How did this happen? My darling running up and down the stairs dozens of times a day, bringing me iced Ensure and V8 and SmartWater, carting down armfuls of dirty glasses, making me endless scrambled eggs (mmm albumin!). I think I've put about a thousand miles on that girl since this started.

Oh, right, and if I don't eat every 2-3 hours throughout the night I wake up with hideous piercing stomach pains. So what does she do? She somehow magically (without setting an alarm) wakes up many times during the night to feed me and shove a straw between my sleepy lips. I barely remember it, but in the morning I remember that I didn't have stomach pains last night.

Other greatnesses of her:
  1. She has a special gift for stuffing pillows around me in a way that suddenly magically makes me comfy when I would have sworn to you that there was NO WAY I could be comfy;
  2. She has been entirely gracious about my incredible bipolar mood this past week, calmly handing me V8s as I skyrocket between elation and despair;
  3. Since I've had to sleep sitting up I wanted a neck pillow -- you know, one of those airplane-style U-shaped ones -- and when we didn't know where to buy one, she went downstairs, whipped out her sewing machine and made me one. Yeah, she's crafty too.
She's done all the housework, done all the grocery shopping, looked after the dogs (and the three of them need a lot of looking after), cheered me, soothed me, nursed me, fed me, administered all my shots with skill and grace, and generally been a hero of the most heroic sort.

A lot of women with OHSS do end up in the hospital, and I firmly believe that her care has kept me at home, kept the OHSS from getting worse, and kept me from being a total emotional wreck.

This one's for you, sweetie. Couldn't do any of this without you, wouldn't even be trying.

Item #2: Today's 96-hour beta came back at 1,111. Besides being a cool number, that is a doubling time of 42.5 hours. HELL YEAH THAT'S MORE LIKE IT. Something in me is relaxing a little, maybe even starting to believe.

Item #3: Today is 5wks 1 day. I have an ultrasound scheduled for next Friday, 6wks 2days. Can I just say: holy crap.

8 comments:

  1. OK, this post made me totally cry. She sounds amazing. I am so happy for your beta number.
    SWG

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post - and one day I hope to meet her in person.

    Plus - that's a great number result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although - your OHSS sounds so grim :-(

    I'm sorry you've (both) had to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for Bizzy; she is indeed a pearl of exceptional price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds so great! And a thousand 'yay's for the new beta number.

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy crap and hooray! love that snazzy number. and what a lovely tribute to your sweetie, who indeed sounds wonderful.

    it's realer all the time --
    tina (rc)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Your wife needs to write a class, mandatory for all partners of fertility patients.

    I'm glad you're well taken care of and hope you feel better soon.

    Beautiful number!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely number!

    And have you thought about cloning your wife? What an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete