Monday, April 7, 2008

4AA

One 4AA partially-hatched blastocyst, hopefully burrowing into my endometrium right now and not into my underwear. Made it back to work in time for my 3pm meeting. I don't believe in that bed rest stuff.

Things I didn't like about today:
  1. No cute embryo pics like other people have posted on their blogs. Although I guess they all look the same -- I could just right-click one of someone else's. Here! Behold Junior:
  2. RE did not use ultrasound to guide the catheter for the transfer. One of the few clear results from studying IVFs is that clinical touch (no ultrasound) is inferior to ultrasound-guided transfers . I'm not happy about that at all, and it may be what prompts me to leave a doctor I otherwise like very much.
  3. The paperwork the RE brought out was all filled out for the transfer of two embryos, despite having mentioned in every single conversation on the topic -- including our initial IVF consult -- that we only want to transfer one. When we stuck to our guns he gave us the "this is your best chance" spiel, although he did add "whatever choice you make has to be right for you." Additionally, his presumption of two gave the embryologist a heart attack, since she had to toss #5 in the freezerator at the last minute to get it started in time.
  4. Never learned the embryologist's name, never talked directly to her about how the embryos were doing.

Things I did like about today:
  1. The fact that we have 5 embryos on ice, with more hopefully joining them tomorrow;
  2. The transfer room was very homey, not like a hospital, just a room with a fancy split-legged Laz-E-Boy;
  3. The transfer was painless and relatively swift;
  4. RE warmly shook our hands and wished us luck at the end;
  5. Lying in the twilit room afterwards, holding hands with my darling, stroking each other's faces, dreaming of all that could be;
  6. It's over, everything went well, it's over, it's over, it's over.
So yeah. Nothing to do now but keep shooting up the progesterone, and wait.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - go embryo! Good luck remaining sane during the wait. I'll be thinking burrow-y thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete