Sunday, April 6, 2008

Right now I could be pregnant...

...even though all embryos are about a mile away, and no sperm has come near me in, well, quite some time.

See, because of the hilarious way in which pregnancy is ret conned, if I get pregnant, then I am pregnant right now. If I don't, I'm not. Pregnancy is usually measured by the first day of the last menstrual period, presumably because your typical member of the female public has no idea when she last ovulated, but might just recall the last time she saw blood coming out of her vagina. Ergo, if I get pregnant, then right now I am nearly three weeks pregnant.

I don't feel any different. I hope that's not a bad sign.

Luckily for y'all I go back to work tomorrow and will likely stop compulsively blogging. That's good because I think I've written about almost every subject except the hideous huge green bruises I have on both of my hands and my wrist. I don't think I mentioned how the worst part of the ER was the four attempts it took to start my IV. I have small thin hands with veins that apparently like to disintegrate the moment you stick a needle in them. Holy god that hurt. I had no idea starting an IV was that painful.

After three tries I was pale and sweating and the nurse called the anesthesiologist, who started it in my arm in about 5 seconds. Afterwards he looked at me and said, rather oddly, "it's nobody's fault, some people just have veins like that." I wasn't sure if he was telling me not to blame the nurse or not to blame myself, and it was odd because it hadn't really occurred to me to blame anyone. Just one of those things.

3 comments:

  1. I had a very similar experience: http://shannon.users.sonic.net/blog/?p=13

    When you're pregnant you are going to get stuck with a lot of needles, so I highly recommend insisting on seeing the senior person on staff right from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I was thinking about you! The thing is that I usually don't have a problem having blood taken -- I've been getting bloodwork every 2 days for the past couple of weeks; I look like a junkie, but they've always gotten me first stick. And I've never found it particularly painful. No, the IV thing seems to be different -- they stick the thing in and then wiggle it under your skin and it's the wiggling around, I think, that hurts so much.

    Anyway, I hope not to see another IV for a long time. If I do I'll insist they do it in my lovely plump vein-filled arm instead of my skinny little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i could have written that post! the exact thing happened before my retrieval, including the anesthesiologist eventually having to get it in. i have what they call "rolling veins," and they're small. i now make it a practice to announce this up front, and either ask for the sharpshooter of the bunch and/or to be "hot packed" on my arm for a few minutes to make the veins stand out more. ow, sorry that you had to go through that.

    i'll be thinking about you and your lovely blast nestling in tomorrow.

    tina

    ReplyDelete