Wednesday, May 23, 2007

CD8: A Visit to the Good Doctor

Things went swimmingly at the fertility doctor's.

  1. Dr. Fertility seems like a nice, goofy guy. When I made stupid I-am-a-compulsive-joker-in-uncomfortable-situations sperm jokes, he joined in with a good will.
  2. He did not seem confused by the whole lesbians-trying-to-conceive thing (unlike the office staff who had a brief fluff over whether B should fill out a "male partner" form or a "female patient" form or none at all, which was the eventual decision).
  3. Dr. Fertility is Jewish, which always makes me feel a bit more at home. His parents must be so proud.
  4. Dr. Fertility did not seem fussed by working with a known donor. Basically, if we hand him a vial of sperm, he isn't going to ask many questions about where we got it from. This is exactly the attitude I want in a fertility doc.
  5. Dr. Fertility seems amenable to whatever level of intervention we want. The possibilities seem to be
    • diagnostic. This means an HSG to make sure the tubes are clear. I'm a bit scared because it has the potential to be quite uncomfortable, but I want one anyway. When I was in college I had an episode of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which can mess up your tubes; if things are not well there, I want to know (and if they are, I want to know that too).
    • cycle monitoring. Via bloodwork, via ultrasound, making sure we're getting the timing correct.
    • drugs to control timing. That would be Clomid. I got nothing against drugs in theory or practice, but I am slightly nervous of the fact that Clomid was how my sister ended up with twins. JUST ONE KTHNX.
    • intrauterine insemination. We'd present him with a vial of washed sperm, he'd monitor the cycle and then stick it up there at the proper time.
Right now I am thinking yes to diagnosing, probably to cycle monitoring, maybe to drugs, maybe to IUI.

And oh, I am not usually very happy about people rummaging around in my lady bits, but even that part was fine -- he kept up a stream of cheery chatter while going about his business, which I have to admit distracted me in a good way.

In other news, KD is going to try to send another package tomorrow, for freezing. Yay! Dr. Fertility seemed somewhat startled that we had our own freezing/washing technology, but was not put off by it.

Roll on, cycle #5! I'm glad we went to that appointment today. Even if we don't make any substantial changes, it has given me the sensation of forward movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment