Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 7: when I'm up, I'm up

Okay, this is one thing that is true about me in general and really, really true of me-on-hormones: my mood is not whatyou'dcall stable. I'm a leaf on the wind. If the news is good, I'm up. If it's not, it's the end of the world. My emotional lability is less than my toddler's, but not a lot less.

But right now, I'm up. Because:

Doctor was downright cheerful about my progress. This morning, at follicle check:

Doc: Why so glum?

Me: I'm not happy about how things are going.

Doc: Why? Things are going well!

Me: My E2's so low.

Doc: It tripled between the first and second check, what more do you want?

Me: ...

Doc: *fishing around with ultrasound wand in my pelvic girdle* Follicles are looking good, very good. All is well.

Me: Patient is high-strung, okay?

He found 12-13 measurable follicles, which is a nice improvement from the last check. Full speed ahead, divert all power to my ovaries1.

Also, I like my new fertility pharmacy. I'd been using The Apothecary Shoppe, mostly because they had the word Apothecary in their name. One of my ambitions in life is to own an antique oak apothecary chest, so yeah,  The Apothecary Shoppe. Made me think that my Follistim was being hand-crafted by a kindle old herbalist.

But they annoyed me mightily the last two cycles, by

  1. Compounding a readily-available ready-made medicine (medrol) simply because they didn't have the ready-made version in stock. This cost me three times what it would have if they'd simply notified me so I could order it from another pharmacy. It was only an extra $26, but damn, it pissed me off. They tried to pull the same thing again next cycle, but I told them in no uncertain terms that no, thanks, I'd fill it locally.
  2. Charging me for shipping when my order fell just below the minimum. Come on, boys. I have bought over twenty five thousand dollars' worth of medication from you. Make a goddamned exception.

Anyway, my new pharmacy is Mandell's, and I like them a lot. Everything's arrived perfectly, but mostly I'm charmed that the last two times I've placed orders with them, the person on the other end of the phone has said, warmly and sincerely, "Good luck!" It's almost like they know what kind of medication they're selling, and why, and want it to work. Anyway, it's sweet, and they also included a little bag of Hershey's Kisses in my top-up order of Menopur and Follistim ($7000 sans insurance, dear G-d, yes I'm very very grateful and I'm never quitting my job).

So... Mandell's, yeah. Recommended!

blah blah babble babble when I'm up I'm up when I'm down I'm down when I'm only halfway up I'm going to be either up or down in five minute, anyway

 1Two nerd references in one post, go me.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! I like your doctor a little better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the secret to managing this relationship may be to always make it abundantly clear that I am very emotionally fragile. Like, before, I was being all casual and jokey and stuff, which might have given the mistaken impression that I was not dangerously unstable.

      Delete