Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Well, there's one off my bucket list.

The D&C is over. It was far from horrible; the worst part was the endless wait. My surgery time was 11:30 and I was told to be there at 9:30. I was taken back at 1:30pm.  Four hours is a long time to wait, especially when for three hours of it you're not wearing pants.

Good things:
  • My IV went in beautifully first try (I've had some traumatic IV insertions in the past). 
  • I was afraid I'd start crying on the table, but I didn't. I was okay. 
  • They didn't use general anesthesia after all; instead it was the same lovely, lovely IV sedation that I had for my egg retrievals. Apparently I take anesthesia fabulously well. According to the doctor I was in "fine form" and very talkative; I don't remember a single thing. I lay down on the table, and then it was over.
  • Recovery from the anesthesia was easy, easy, easy. I woke up feeling extremely mellow.  Lay there, drank some juice, and went home. 

Only dark spot was that we were unable to get a cab (WTF??) and decided to walk home -- it's barely a mile, very close, not a big deal -- but I had such a strong urge to be safely home, home, home that it was a bit harrowing. But we made it.

Now I feel pretty wiped out, but cramps are minimal.

I wondered if I'd feel devastated when it was over, saying goodbye to the last little scraps of what I so desperately wanted to be our second child. I don't, thought, not right this second. Right now I'm just so glad it's over. Based on details that I do not know and do not want to know, my doctor feels optimistic that the pathology report will show that it was an intrauterine pregnancy. We'll get the report tomorrow. Then this'll be truly over.

No comments:

Post a Comment