Wednesday, December 14, 2011

In which I catch a break

Pathology is back; it was an intrauterine pregnancy. This is very good news. This means it's over.

I resisted the D&C so hard, but now that it's over I'm glad I did it. I hated analyzing every pain and every dizzy spell. I don't live well under uncertainty, and once there were no good outcomes possible, the best outcome was for it to be done with. I alternate between fits of cheerfulness and near-euphoria -- it's over, it's over, it's over! -- and dips of extreme sadness. Staying home today, lounging on the bed, catching up on Season 6 of Doctor Who.

My poor little blastocyst. It tried so hard, and hung on so long. It just didn't know when to let go. I can relate.


ETA: Doctor just called to let me know that there wasn't enough tissue for chromosomal analysis. I'm both disappointed and relieved. It would have been kind of nice to have any more information, but I know I would have totally lost my shit if I'd had to find out whether the fetus was male or female. Probably for the best this way.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so relieved that it's over and you don't have to endure more. It's so crazy how this process makes something so terrible into good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that it's finally over. Sounds like it was the right thing to do in this instance.
    And a completely different kind of glad to hear that someone else likes Dr Who--my partner loves it, and I've become a reluctant convert.

    ReplyDelete