Monday, August 1, 2011

5dp5dt:: BFN

Sparkling white, glittering white, white like an Alpine peak, white like a Tea Party rally.

Some might say that it's early to feel pessimistic about this cycle, but I don't like to leave things till the last minute1. I don't know. I've felt sort of off, grungy, a bit wrong -- I thought maybe it Meant Something -- but right this second I think maybe it means that I'm taking large amounts of exogenous hormones.

So I'm looking forward a bit. I can do probably one more FET. Just one? you might ask. But I thought you had a cool dozen-plus-two embryos on ice!

On transfer day, we had the unpleasant surprise of learning that seven embryos had to be defrosted in order for us to get two to transfer. This is an abysmal thaw rate; thaw rates (for vitrified embryos) are usually between 50-90%. I don't know whether there's something about my embryos that makes them freeze/thaw badly, whether the lab didn't do a good job freezing them, or whether the lab didn't do a good job thawing them. Regardless, I now have 7 embryos left, two frozen using the rapid-vitrification and five slow-frozen. Slow-frozen embryos usually have much worse thaw rates than vitrified, although much worse than 2/7 is *scribbles on piece of paper* approximately crap%. So... I don't have quite the bounty that I thought I had. I can probably get one more FET out of it, though. And after that, it's back into the fray.

1This is a lie.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for the bfn and the terrible thaw rate. I hate all the opportunities for things to go wrong with IVF/FET. It just sucks and I wish you were landing on the other side of the luck this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, crud. I, too, was hoping that this time around you'd hit it right off the bat and everything would go smooth like magic.

    Thinking of you with lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh there is nothing worse than the blinding white of an hpt.

    We had horrific rates during our IVF too - but our problem was 15 perfect embryos all crapping out on day 5 - they couldnt even freeze most of them.

    I hope it only takes that one more FET to bring you a little sibling for your wee boy :)

    ReplyDelete