Wednesday, April 2, 2008

done!

At home!

Preliminary count = 21 eggs "so far"; they were still looking through the fluid when he gave us the report. Doubtless many of those won't be mature (at the last ultrasound he counted 15 likely-looking follicles), but it's a lovely (lucky?) number to be starting out with.

The anesthesia was a trip, I've never had it before. Man, that stuff works. One minute I was lying there under the huge light, legs strapped into leg-elevator things, thinking about alien abduction. The next second I was someplace else entirely. I couldn't believe it. The very first thing I mumbled -- no fooling -- was "Anesthesiology is a noble profession." The anesthesiologist looked startled and said "thank you". I was just floored that it was all over, just like that. Floored and grateful.

Then I noticed OW OW OW OW. I am not shy and I communicated OW OW OW, and was rewarded with an IV of some narcotic (Diludid?). Unfortunately, it only took the edge off, and it took another few minutes to figure out that a big part of the pain was that I desperately needed to pee. Sadly, we have no pictures of My First (and hopefully Last) Bedpan.

All hospital staff extremely nice. Nurses rock.

The bad part is that now I feel like utter shit -- I can barely hobble half-curled to the bathroom. My list of woes: breathing deeply hurts.
Laughing hurts enough that I had to turn off Scrubs. Moving hurts. My shoulder is randomly cramped and hurts as much as my abdomen. Gas pains keep bubbling up. I'm just sort of skating from one moment to the next, convinced that I am moving in the right direction because time is passing, and nothing will fix this but time. Every half-hour is an achievement. Who the fuck are these maniacs who go jogging round the block after their egg retrievals? When the nice nurse dropped her voice and advised me no sex, I could only stare at her in disbelief.

The good: my beloved is taking wonderful care of me, hovering with SmartWater and homemade chicken soup and pillows. I have this neat microwavable heating pad that feels really great on the shoulder. And I know all this is temporary.

Right now, though, right at this moment, I can't imagine ever choosing to do this again. Though I know that if we did this whole process again we'd rack back on the stims, I wouldn't get as many eggs, and thus would not feel so shitty. I'm told that there's a direct relation between the number of eggs and how wrecked you feel afterwards.

4 comments:

  1. poor Nina!

    I think 21 is a lucky number.

    What happens next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow I should get a fertilization report, see how many were mature and sperm-friendly. Then a 3-day (Saturday) or, assuming there's a decent number of embryos doing well, a 5-day transfer (Monday).

    All this assumes that I get better, not worse, over the next few days. If I get worse we'll have to freeze all embryos and try for a frozen transfer after I recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 21 sounds great! Amazing! Can't wait to here more great news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing.

    And 21 is an excellent number.

    ReplyDelete