Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 4 embryo report

We have:

9 morulas (morulae?)
1 "9+ cells"
2 8 cells
1 7 cells
1 3 cell
1 2 cell
1 eager-beaver early blastocyst (the nurse thought this was a good thing, so maybe I'm wrong? but my research says too fast, man)
1 no change for one day, on probation
1 no change for two days, discarded

So, the wee ones are still dividin' like champs. Now is the time I'm super grateful for being at Big Shiny Fertility Factory, with their Big Shiny Excellent Embryology Lab. Although I loved Dr. Stewart's Discount IVF Shack, I just can't be confident in their lab. And from here on in, it's all down to the lab (and the embryos, of course).

We'll see how this batch turns out, but I've thought a bit about the "ugly duckling" stage that my embryos went through last cycle, when they slowed down mightily between D3 and D5.  I've since learned that a lot of labs aren't particularly good at blastocyst culture. Blastocysts have different needs than embryos, and between days 3 and 5 the labs have to make a lot of adjustments, I dunno, give them different food, plump up their tiny pillows, something, stuff, do I look like an embryologist?  It's also an awkward and trying time chromosomally, so it could very well be that my embryos weren't/aren't good at making the transition... but a different lab may help.

So! 9 morulas, full speed ahead!

1 comment: